Friday, April 20, 2007

Spring is here (Finally!!!)

I love all the seasons, and the fact that we get to experience all of them here in the northeast. However, I love how spring makes me feel so alive and how wonderful it feels after winter. There's something about the scent on a spring breeze, the warmth in the air, or maybe it's just the signs of life and renewal all around. I wrote this poem many years ago, inspired by a gorgeous spring day.

The cool breeze coming in through
The window caresses my skin teasingly,
As if to say, "Come out and play!"

I look out to see
Why it's calling to me,
And the lawn that was once
Covered with pure white snow
Is starting to show
Signs of life

Although is is mostly brown muck
That my shoes will get stuck in,
I grin to see the beginning
Of green grass

A pair of Gold finches flit by,
And I wonder what he sings to her
To convince her to come and play with him
Is it a reminder of how wonderful
His feathers will look
Against the blue spring sky
When they fly together?
Or does he tell her
What his heart is saying under
It's covering of down and feathers?

The breeze blows in again,
Causing goose bumps
To rise on my skin,
And my nose awakens
As the faint scent of the first
Spring shower
Brings back memories
Of my childhood,
When my imagination would
Go running to meet
The first day of spring.


Copyright Kate, 2000

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How nicely put! Took me back to your little girl days when your sense of adventure and love of nature enabled you to embrace every little piece of nature. From bugs, to blossoms and everything in between. There you go - peddling down the street, wind in your face.....You stop to pick a dandelion, or two, or ten and admire every gift from God as the treasure it was meant to be. I'm glad you haven't lost that ability to savor in the "little things"!