Tuesday, May 16, 2006

"What is your quest?"

According to Merriam-Webster's online dictionary/thesaurus, a quest is "an act or process of looking carefully or thoroughly for someone or something" I've spent the last 10 years or so searching for my niche, purpose, etc. And now I'm at another fork in the road, still trying to figure it out. Growing up, I thought plans were the way to make things happen. My plans for what I wanted to be when I grew up were a nurse, a wife, a mother. In that chronological order. And to have my bachelors degree (which I've since learned that while it is beneficial, may not be all the education I need). Along the way, my plans took a shape of their own, as life got in the way and obstacles popped up. I became an RN and went on for my bachelors, but the real world of nursing had many challenges for me. Prioritizing what to do first, how to get all the paperwork done and feel as though I had been able to advocate for, educate, and care for my patients. Most days I came home feeling like I had spent all day being pulled in many directions, and having to sacrifice the advocating and educating roles I love. Now, after 5 years of nursing, I'm spending a lot of time wondering if I really knew what I was getting myself into when I decided on a nursing career at 16. There are many aspects of nursing that I love, but they tend to get overshadowed by the stress of my current hospital job. I'm hoping to find something in nursing that is education related, but at the same time am doing some serious soul searching about what I need most out of a job and if I'll find that in this profession. I do know that I need something that includes education, since that is one of my passions, and working directly with people.

God promises in Jeremiah 29:11 " 'For I know the plans I have for you,' delcares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." I know that if I truly examine the gifts He has given me and find a better way to put them to use, I'll be living by His plans for me, and enjoying what I do for a living. And in the meantime I have the most supportive family, boyfriend, and friends anyone could ask for. I am forever grateful to my wonderful support system for their thoughts, ideas and encouragement along this quest.


No comments: